Training Programs :: Half Ironman (70.3) Triathlon Training
2018 Half Ironman (70.3) Triathlon Training
You've signed up for the biggest race of your life — let us help you turn your Ironman dreams into a reality! You'll be able to relish the experience, knowing that you're prepared — physically and mentally — to succeed!
Choose from three (3) popular Ironman 70.3 races located in the Midwest:
(Racing at another summer/fall Ironman 70.3 event, such as Eagleman, Santa Rosa, Canada, Boulder, etc.? Training plans can also be adapted to another Ironman 70.3 distance race in the same, general time frame — just ask the coaches for details).
We have created a comprehensive, proven, program that will prepare you for one or several Ironman 70.3 races, no matter what your experience level is. Is this your first Ironman 70.3 distance triathlon? Our coaches will guide you every step of the way. Looking for a PR? Let us challenge you and take you to the next level! Get motivated, meet some great people, have fun and get in shape all at the same time!
- Up to FOUR (4) Coached Group Training sessions per week!
- Swim Interval Training (Monday OR Tuesday evenings)
- Open Water Swim Training (Thursday mornings, starting in July)
- Run Interval/Speed Training (Thursday evenings)
- Group Long Rides & Brick Sessions (Saturday mornings)
- Proven, detailed training plans to get you TOTALLY prepared for your goal race, delivered online via TrainingPeaks
- Multiple Goal Race Options:
- Wisconsin 70.3 - 11 weeks (training begins March 26th)
- Muncie 70.3 - 16 weeks (training begins March 26th)
- Steelhead 70.3 - 16 or 20 weeks (training begins March 26th or April 23rd)
- ...or combine several races into the 16 or 20-week plans!
- Custom, sublimated Team CES triathlon racing jersey — included! $75 value
Registration is limited, so join today!
|Group Training Program:*
*Limited to maximum of 75 participants.
|CES Alumni||New Members|
|Ironman 70.3 Wisconsin (11-weeks)||$399||$429|
|Ironman 70.3 Muncie (16-weeks)||$479||$509|
|Ironman 70.3 Steelhead (16-weeks)||$479||$509|
|Ironman 70.3 Combo (Wisconsin or Muncie + Steelhead: 20-weeks)||$529||$559|
Payment plans are available! — We know how expensive this sport can be, and we want to help! Simply contact email@example.com to set it up.
- $200 deposit and 4 equal, monthly payments (includes small processing fee)
Please note: Your entry fee to the race is NOT included with this program.
No refunds will be provided in full or in part for any reason, including injury, after a program begins. No prorated fees are provided for late enrollments.
Want To Learn More?
For more detailed information about this successful & FUN program, keep scrolling!
Limited Space Available
In order to maintain the high quality that CES is known for (and which participants expect of CES), this program is limited to 30 people. We've sold out the last several years, and this one will too — don't miss your chance — register today!
Not only do you get to have a lot of fun, but you also get a ton of great stuff too! Check it out:
- Full coach & team support at ALL three Goal Races
- Professional, experienced (and nice!) coaches (more details)
- Proven, daily training schedule delivered via TrainingPeaks for all levels of triathletes, including first time Ironman 70.3 triathletes!
- Weekly e-newsletter with tips on training & program updates
- Weekly tips for training and Q & A with our coaches at all training sessions
- Coached group training—up to 4X per week (more details below)
- Custom, Team CES Triathlon Racing Top — included! ($75 value)
- Custom, team shirt — included!
- Sponsor Benefits:
Discounts/promotions from our partners:
- Educational seminars & clinics (more info below)
- Fun, team social activities
- and much more!
Recommended Minimum Fitness Level
The Ironman triathlon is a challenging event. To make sure this is the right program for you, we have established some minimum fitness requirements for participation. In addition to having completed a minimum of one or more Olympic Distance Triathlons in the last year, all participants should be comfortably able to complete the following prior to the start of the program:
- Swim: 20-30 minutes (1000-1500 yards) non-stop, easy swim (or with minimal rest)
- Bike: 1:45 (one hour, 45 minutes) nonstop, easy riding
- We HIGHLY recommend participating in a coached, indoor cycling class prior to riding outside, so you're ready to go when we hit the roads! CES hosts a GREAT class — please consider registering for it!
- During our group rides, Coaches will make their way between and among each group. They will stay with the main group of riders and cannot chase down those who strike out on their own, or can't hold the stated pace. Pace range is an average ride speed (not a peak speed briefly flirted with on a downhill with a tailwind).
- Three Pace Groups
- 17–21mph average
- 15–18mph average
- 13–16mph average
- Run: 45-60 minute easy run or run/walk
We're not concerned with how fast you go, but with your ability to complete the time/distance comfortably! If you do NOT meet the above recommended minimums, please contact us before signing up, so our coaches can help you make the SMART decision!
Training Days & Locations
Group training sessions are held three (3) times/week, beginning the week of Monday, March 26, 2018. For a little more detail on what happens at those sessions, read on...
Mondays or Tuesdays — SWIM TRAINING
7:45pm* — The Monday/Tuesday evening sessions will focus specifically on swim technique, endurance, power and speed. Each session will be led by our highly qualified swim coaches and will cater to each individual's skill level. Some sessions will be in the open water.
*Times Subject to Change to 6:45pm, based on facility schedule
Thursdays — OPEN WATER SWIM & RUN TRAINING
6:00am — (optional) Thursday mornings focus on swimming specifically in the open water. Our highly skilled and experienced swim coaches will teach you essential skills and techniques that will make you more efficient and confident in the open water. (Starts in July)
6:30pm — These will be Run-Focused sessions, with an emphasis on technique, efficiency, strength & speed. Our coaching staff will be on hand to help teach, challenge and motivate you!
Saturdays — GROUP RIDES & BRICK TRAINING
7:00am — The majority of Saturdays we will work exclusively on biking. Other weeks we will combine bike & run together. Our coaches will also train along with you to motivate you and help with any concerns or questions that come up along the way. Please note: Saturday biking workouts will depend on weather. We anticipate that we'll be able to start these workouts in late April/early May.
Where will we meet? It depends on the focus of that day's training session. Here are a few of the key training locations we'll be using:
- Ohio Street Beach — yes, we swim in Lake Michigan. A lot. Practicing in open water will help ensure confidence and a great race swim!
- UIC Sport & Fitness Center (West Campus) — Our group swims will take place here, focusing on technique, power and speed.
- Buffalo Grove — This will be our main location for our longer bike sessions, where the roads are open and there's not a rollerblade in sight! The biggest benefit here is the access to varied terrain (can you say hills?)
- Plaza del Lago (Wilmette) — When we're not out in the Buffalo Grove area, we will travel to the northern suburbs for some of our bike sessions. This will also be a location for bike/run "brick" workouts.
- Fleet Feet Sports, Old Town — For any of our "running only" training sessions, we'll meet at Fleet Feet Sports and head out to the Lakefront Path. There will be gear check, bathrooms, changing rooms, and water available before and after these sessions — sweet!
Clinics & Seminars
If you truly want to reach your goals, you need to do more than just put in the miles! Our expert coaches & speakers will present clinics on a variety of topics including (but not limited to):
- Triathlon Swim Technique
- Cycling — Skills, Maintenance & Equipment selection & Fit
- Good Form Running — improve your running efficiency
- Smooth, Fast Transitions — the "Fourth" component of triathlon
- Core & Strength Training with AthletiCo
- Injury Prevention & Flexibility with AthletiCo
- Food as Fuel: Sports Nutrition for Long Distance Triathletes
- Training Tools & Gadgets (GPS, Heart Rate monitors, Training Peaks, etc.)
- Mental Skills for Success
- Comprehensive Race Prep
Our Coaching Staff
Craig Strong & Daphne Glover
We're extremely proud of our professional, experienced coaching staff—they always go the extra mile to make sure you have a fun, successful training season! Why is it so important to have qualified coaches? They can:
- Evaluate your current fitness level and goals to make sure you are training at an appropriate level
- Evaluate and suggest ways to improve your form & technique
- Assist you if you need to adjust your training schedule, in the event of an injury or missed training due to travel or life in general
- Motivate and challenge you to reach your goals in a smart, safe & effective manner
Click here for more information on our awesome coaches!
Please contact us at info@ChicagoEnduranceSports.com for more information.